These m&m rice krispie treats are one of my favorite classic sweet treats. There’s something about the gooey marshmallow mixture that transforms rice krispies cereal into something crazy delicious for people of all ages. The addition of m&m’s in this recipe makes these fun treats that much better!
Why you should make these colorful m&m rice krispie treats:
Not only do these cereal treats come together super quickly, you also only need a small handful of ingredients! You can make these no-bake treats as party favors, gifts for your neighbors and friends or to impress everyone at your next bake sale! No matter who you serve these to, these crispy treats are sure to be gone in a flash!
Ingredients you’ll need for homemade rice krispie treats:
- Salted butter
- Mini marshmallows
- Vanilla extract
- Rice Krispies cereal
- Mini m&m’s
How to make delicious rice krispie treats:
- Make the marshmallow mixture.
- Add in rice krispies cereal.
- Once combined, add the other mix-in’s.
- Transfer to your parchment lined pan.
- Lightly press the mixture into the pan.
- Top with remaining m&m’s.
- Let them set and cool.
- Lift the edges of the parchment paper from the pan to easily remove the treats.
- Slice into equal squares.
A few things that make these the best rice krispie treats:
- The perfect ratio of cereal to marshmallow: too much marshmallow and they’ll be sticky… not enough, and they’ll be stiff!
- The addition of extra marshmallows: adding whole, unmelted marshmallows to the rice krispies mixture is my favorite part!
- M&m’s make everything better! The little chocolatey bites and colorful pop that m&m’s brings to this recipe is the best!
Sure! I like using mini marshmallows because they melt into the butter faster and are the perfect size for adding in whole at the end. If you use the regular sized marshmallows, you’ll need less than what the recipe suggests.
Definitely. I think the mini ones are cute but feel free to use the regular sized m&m’s as well as other varieties like peanut butter, fudge brownie or almond!
If you want to add even more flavor to your rice krispies treats, brown the butter! To do so, let the butter melt and continuously swirl it around the pan. Continue swirling the butter over the heat until it is foaming on top, has a nutty smell and is light brown in color.
I like lining my pans with parchment paper because it makes removing the rice krispie treats very easy. Just leave some parchment overhang on the sides, then life and remove once the treats are set and cooled. If you don’t use parchment paper, you could also use a piece of wax paper or aluminum foil. If none of those work for you, just be sure to spray your pan with nonstick cooking spray to prevent sticking.
You can cut the recipe exactly in half and use a 9×9 square baking dish. They will be equally delicious and better suited for a smaller crowd!
These m&m rice krispie treats can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days (if they last that long).
It’s important to not pack the mixture down into your pan too firmly. If you really pack them down, they will quickly go from being perfectly gooey to firm and dense. Just press the mixture in enough to form an even layer.
M&M Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 large saucepan
- 1 rubber spatula
- 1 sharp knife
- 12 tbsp salted butter
- (2) 10 oz bags mini marshmallows I like Jet-Puffed brand
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 9 cups rice krispies cereal
- 10 oz bag mini m&m's
- Start by getting a large saucepan on medium heat and setting aside 2 cups of mini marshmallows.
- Add in the butter and let it melt. This is where you could take it a step further and brown the butter for even more flavor.
- Once the butter melts, dump in the mini marshmallows and stir until those melt too.
- When the mixture’s smooth, add in the vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Pour in rice krispie cereal and fold them into the marshmallow mixture.
- Add in the reserved mini marshmallows as well as 1 cup of the mini m&m’s.
- Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and transfer the rice krispies into the prepared baking pan.
- Lightly press cereal mixture down using the back of your rubber spatula or wet hands to form an even layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining m&m's on top of the treats and let set for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove from the pan, grab a sharp knife, and slice into 15 equal squares.