Calling all chocolate and coconut lovers! These magic cookie bars are the perfect thing to satisfy your sweet tooth. Three kinds of chocolate chips are tossed with shredded coconut flakes and walnuts, then baked on top of a graham cracker crust! Resulting in the gooiest dessert bars you’ve ever had!
Why you should make these magic cookie bars recipe:
Magic cookie bars are one of the easiest desserts out there. They’re also known as coconut dream bars, Hello Dolly bars and 7-layer bars. This version has a golden brown graham cracker base on the bottom of the pan and is piled high with tons of coconut, chocolate and walnuts which is the best part! If you’re a cookie fan and a chocolate fan you’re going to love these.
Ingredients you need for the best magic cookie bar recipe:
- Butter: salted or unsalted are both fine.
- Graham cracker crumbs: You can buy these pre-made or make them yourself!
- Semisweet chocolate chips: you can use dark chocolate chips if you prefer.
- Butterscotch chips: peanut butter chips work here too!
- White chocolate chips
- Shredded coconut: make sure you have the sweetened kind.
- Sweetened condensed milk
How to layer magic bars:
- Combine the ingredients for the graham cracker crust. You should be left with a mixture that looks like wet sand.
- Transfer the graham cracker mixture to your dish and press it into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Mix together the coconut, chocolate chips and walnuts in a large bowl.
- Evenly sprinkle chocolate chips, coconut and walnuts on top of the thick graham cracker crust.
- Evenly pour over sweetened condensed milk.
- Bake and enjoy!
Yes! The three kinds that are used in this recipe just happen to be what I like. If you like peanut butter chips, espresso chips, or really anything else for that matter, feel free to substitute in whatever floats your boat.
Yes! I prefer shredded coconut in this magic bar recipe because it results in a chewier bar, but both will work. Just make sure that whatever you use is sweetened!
I prefer my magic cookie bars to be on the thicker side but if you want to make them thinner to feed more people you can use this same exact recipe in a 9×11 baking pan and it will still turn out great!
If you don’t want to serve these cookie bars straight from the pan, be sure to line the pan with parchment paper that has some overhang on the sides before forming the crust. This way once the cookie bars are baked and cooled, you can easily grab onto the sides of the parchment paper and lift the bars right out.
- 1 8×8 or 9×9 baking pan
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup shredded coconut sweetened
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk 14 oz (I like eagle brand)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the melted butter with the graham cracker. crumbs (you can make the crumbs by pulsing whole graham crackers in your food processor or placing whole graham crackers in a resealable bag and smashing with a heavy bottle or rolling pin).
- The crushed graham crackers should now feel like wet sand. Pour the crumbs into the bottom of an 8×8 baking dish and press it into an even layer. For best results you'll want to be sure it's super pressed down (I like using the bottom of a measuring cup to help make it flat and even).
- In a large bowl, combine the three kinds of baking chips with the shredded coconut and walnuts.
- Distribute this on top of the graham cracker layer.
- Evenly pour the can of sweetened condensed milk on top and bake for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely, then slice into small squares.
These are a great thing to bring to bake sales, a holiday celebration or to just have around the house! No matter the occasion, this simple dessert will not let you down!
Leave a Reply