Buffalo chicken dip has to be one of my favorite appetizers, so why not turn it into buffalo chicken wonton cups!? These are just like eating buffalo chicken dip with chips, except now the ‘chip’ is the wonton on the outside! This is the party appetizer you never knew you needed!
What makes these buffalo chicken wontons so amazing:
Not only is this easy appetizer recipe delicious, the crispy wonton cups don’t require any shaping or sealing like regular wontons do either! All you have to do is form the wonton wrappers to the muffin tin cavities and you’re ready to fill! In fact, you can have these ready in roughly 30 minutes from start to finish!
Ingredients you’ll need for delicious buffalo chicken wonton cups:
- Cream cheese
- Buffalo sauce
- Shredded chicken
- Cheddar cheese: mozzarella cheese can work in a pinch as well.
- Wonton wrappers
How to make these for your next party:
- Combine ingredients for the filling.
- Press the wonton wrappers into the muffin tin.
- Fill the wontons.
- Use fully softened cream cheese: You want the cream cheese to be very soft so that it can easily be mixed. If it’s not softened, you’ll more than likely end up with lumps of cream cheese in the filling mixture.
- Take a shortcut and use rotisserie chicken: To save even more time, grab a rotisserie chicken to avoid boiling chicken breasts.
- Make sure you spray the muffin tin with non-stick spray before pressing in the wonton wrappers: Spraying the pan not only prevents sticking, it also helps the wontons crisp while baking.
My favorite hot sauce is Franks Red Hot and is (in my option) the best hot sauce for these wontons due to it’s delicious buffalo flavor!
I like Nasoya brand for wonton wrappers. I can always find them easily in my local grocery store and they aren’t frozen, so you don’t have to worry about thawing them!
Start with boiling water, then add the chicken. Cutlets will be done in 8-10 minutes and larger breasts will take closer to 15 minutes.
You can serve the buffalo chicken wonton cups with blue cheese dressing, extra buffalo sauce, or even sour cream for dipping! I promise, the entire family will go crazy for it!
I always turn to my air fryer when I want to reheat things to get them crispy. 400 degrees for about 10 minutes usually does the trick!
Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups
- 1 rubber spatula
- (1) 12-cup standard sized muffin tin
- (1) 8 oz block cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup celery chopped
- 1/2 cup hot sauce I like Franks Red hot
- 1 cup shredded chicken 1-2 small breasts
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese Mozzarella is ok too!
- 12 wonton wrappers I like Nasoya brand
- *Set your cream cheese on the counter in advance to let it completely soften and get to room temperature!
- Start by boiling and shredding your chicken breasts, or just shredding your rotisserie chicken.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, chopped celery, hot sauce, shredded chicken and shredded cheese. Mix well!
- Spray a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray, then press wonton wrappers into each cavity. Spray the wontons again to ensure the side of each wonton wrapper will crisp in the oven!
- Evenly spoon chicken mixture among the wonton wrappers.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the buffalo chicken filling has settled into the wontons and the edges of the wontons are golden brown.
- *Optionally sprinkle with green onions or blue cheese crumbles after baking.