These mediterranean breakfast pita pockets are perfect if you’re someone who finds yourself sick of eating the same breakfast over and over again. They’re the perfect thing to whip up when you need something healthy and delicious ready in just a few minutes. The scramble is made up of sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, feta and oregano, resulting in a flavor-packed breakfast that’s a great source of protein too!
Why you should make this nutritious breakfast:
Pitas are a great vehicle for all kinds of different fillings. I’ve chosen to take a mediterranean twist with this easy recipe and they couldn’t be more delicious! Like many of my other recipes, feel free to switch things out or make substitutions as needed. If you’re looking for ways to make this even more nutritious, try using whole-wheat pita, and egg whites!
Delicious ingredients for this pita:
- Olive oil
- Milk: This is optional, I just like it cause it gives the eggs more volume.
- Salt, pepper and dried oregano
- Sun-dried tomatoes: I like the ones jarred in oil
- Fresh baby spinach
- Feta cheese
- Pita bread: regular, whole wheat or low-carb pita will all work!
How to make a mediterranean pita pocket:
- Over medium low heat, drizzle olive oil in a pan to heat up.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs with milk, seasonings and add-ins.
- Transfer the eggs to the pan and scramble them to your liking.
- Once they are cooked, sprinkle feta cheese on top.
- Warm up your pita, slice it in half and open it to create a pocket shape.
- Stuff the pita pocket with the egg scramble and enjoy!
Pita is a greek flatbread that can be split open to hold a filling. It is similar to naan but a little thinner and ideal for stuffing. There is an endless number of things you can stuff inside of a pita but using it is a great, foolproof way to stay full for longer and have an easy handheld meal!
There is a fine line between eggs that are no longer runny and eggs that are flat out overcooked. It is SO EASY to dry out scrambled eggs and the best tip I have to prevent it is using low heat. Making scrambled eggs over high heat murders them, they become dry, bland and rubbery. So, be patient, even on low heat your eggs will be perfectly cooked in no time!
I wanted to keep this pretty classic with Mediterranean flavors but this breakfast pita has an absolutely endless number of possibilities. Think of it like anything you’d eat with toast, you can pile inside a pita. If you are sicking with Mediterranean favors, try adding some other veggies like red pepper, bell peppers, yellow squash, cherry tomatoes, fresh parsley leaves or even cucumbers for freshness!
Mediterranean Breakfast Pita
- 1 small bowl
- 1 small nonstick skillet
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp milk (optional, just gives the eggs more volume)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes (the ones in oil)
- 1 small handful fresh baby spinach
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp feta cheese (crumbled)
- 1 pita
- Chop the sun-dried tomatoes into small pieces and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs, milk, and seasonings. Whisk well to incorporate air and make the eggs fluffy!
- Add the chopped sun-dried tomatoes and fresh spinach. Mix one more time.
- Over medium heat, heat oil in a small skillet. Once hot, pour in the egg mixture.
- The cooking process is really up to you. Flip the eggs and break them up (just make a scramble) until they are cooked to your liking.
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle on feta cheese.
- Put your pita in the microwave for 30 seconds to warm it, then slice it in half.
- Open up each half to make a 'pocket' shape, stuff each half with the eggs and enjoy!