You aren’t going to believe how easy these chicken skewers with sour cream marinade are to make. I always grill mine and since we’re in the height of grilling season, I think this recipe is exactly what you need!
What makes these chicken kebabs so good?
Obviously there’s tons of marinade recipes out there but this one is probably the easiest one to exist. You barely even have to measure anything and once the marinade ingredients are combined it does all the work for you! You can turn this into chicken kabobs like I did or you can just bake the chicken in the oven to make it even more stress-free.
Ingredients you need for these grilled chicken skewers:
- Chicken breasts
- Sour cream and onion dip
- Fresh lemon juice
- Minced garlic
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Cracked black pepper
- Dried oregano
- Dried basil
- Bell peppers (any color).
- Onion (yellow or red onion are both fine).
How to make these marinated kabobs:
- Soak skewers in water (if you’re using wooden ones).
- Combine ingredients for the marinade.
- Add in the chunks of chicken and leave to let marinade.
- Prepare peppers and onions for the skewers as well.
- Add the chicken and vegetables to the skewers, alternating between the two until you run out.
- Preheat your grill.
- Grill the kabobs and serve with extra lemon and dipping sauce on the side.
Make sure to soak your wooden skewers!
Depending on the kind of skewers you’re using, you may need to soak them first. Soaking wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes prevents them from catching on fire and burning on the grill. If you use metal skewers you can skip this step completely!
Other things you can add to these chicken kabobs:
A lot of flavor can come from whatever vegetables you add to the skewers as well. You could try adding things like cherry tomatoes, zucchini, or marinated and jarred artichokes.
This easy dinner is the perfect recipe for anyone who loves dips:
The sour cream and onion dip makes for super tender chicken but there are endless dips you can use for marinades just like this! Pre-made dips are the singe best way to cut down on long ingredient lists and impart tons of flavor all at the same time. Another good idea could be using a store-bought creamy pesto in place of the spur cream and onion dip!
Chicken Skewers With Sour Cream Marinade
- 8 wooden or metal skewers
- 1/2 cup sour cream and onion dip
- 1/2 a lemon juiced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into chunks
- 2 bell peppers cut into chunks
- 1 white or red onion cut into chunks
- In a large bowl, combine the marinade ingredients. If using fresh garlic, be sure to peel and mince it first!
- Next, cut your chicken breasts into 2-inch pieces, then add the chicken pieces to the marinade.
- Mix to combine and transfer to the fridge for at least 30 minutes to overnight.
- Once the chicken is marinaded, chop up the bell peppers and onion into chunks as well.
- Add the chicken and vegetables to the skewers, alternating between the two until you run out. If you're using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before using!
- Then it's grilling time! Preheat your grill to medium-high heat and grill skewers, making sure to rotate them during the cooking process. It should take about 15 minutes total.
- When the chicken is fully cooked, and the kabobs are ready to come off the grill, the internal temperature of the chicken should be 165 degrees F and the vegetables should be tender and charred on the edges.
- Optional, but if you like, serve with some lemon wedges and extra sour cream and onion dip on the side for even more delicious flavor!
**I am not a dietitian and recommend you seek a nutritionist for exact nutritional information. The information in the nutrition box is calculated through a program and there is room for error. If you need an accurate count, I recommend running the ingredients through your favorite nutrition calculator.**