These butter dip biscuits (also known as butter swim biscuits) are not your traditional biscuit but are SO GOOD in all the right ways. They’re perfectly golden on top, fluffy on the inside, and as the name suggests, super buttery too!
Why you should make these delicious homemade biscuits:
These butter dip buttermilk biscuits are special because they are so easy to make. Most biscuit recipes require you to roll or press dough out and use a biscuit cutter to form individual biscuits. For this recipe, you simply mix up a quick dough by hand, spread it right into a square baking dish and bake! Keep in mind that these are not a biscuit with flakey layers though, rather, they are fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside.
Ingredients for the easiest homemade biscuits:
- Salted butter
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Buttermilk: You can easily make your own at home by mixing 1 cup of whole milk with 1 tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice
How to make the best biscuits:
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients and whisk well.
- Pour in the buttermilk and mix until a loose dough forms.
- Melt a stick of butter in a microwave-safe bowl and pour it into a square pan.
- Pour biscuit dough right on top of the butter.
- Press biscuit dough out to the sides of the pan and score the top into 9 equal squares.
- Bake until all the butter has been absorbed, the biscuits are cooked through and the outside is beautifully golden brown.
These biscuits are special because they are so easy to make! They don’t require any rolling out, folding or kneading. In addition to that, the texture is unlike traditional biscuits that are layered and flakey. Instead, these are super buttery and soft. During the baking process, the butter allows the biscuits to crisp on the bottom almost like focaccia would too!
Oh man, there are so many options! First, you’ll want to be sure you enjoy these warm, that’s when they are most delicious! In my opinion, these biscuits can go sweet or savory. Feel free to grab honey, apple butter or jam to spread on top (that’s what I did) or serve these with something like sausage gravy or the base to an egg sandwich if you want something more filling!
You can easily make your own buttermilk at home by combining 1 cup of regular milk with 1 tbsp white vinegar OR lemon juice. Just stir the mixture up and allow it to sit for a few minutes. This lets the milk slightly curdle and form a buttermilk-like texture and taste! You can scale these measurements up or down as needed.
Butter Dip Biscuits
- (1) 9×9 baking pan
- 1/2 cup salted butter (1 stick)
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk.
- Using a rubber spatula, mix until the flour is absorbed and a sticky dough forms (it should be pretty wet). Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter in the microwave. Then pour it into your 9×9 baking dish.
- Transfer the biscuit batter into the baking dish.
- Wet your hands (or spatula) and push the dough out to reach all corners (butter will probably run on top of the biscuit dough but don't worry about it!).
- Using a sharp knife, score the dough into 9 squares.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the butter is absorbed, they are golden and your kitchen smells delicious!